Police arrested eight people in connection with an alleged heroin ring that operated near a school in the Austin neighborhood.
Undercover narcotics officers made 12 drug buys near Cicero Avenue and Walton Street, all within 1,000 feet of a school, according to a police news release.
Authorities issued warrants for 12 people allegedly involved in the ring, and subsequently arrested eight of those, including a 16-year-old. One of the suspects was arrested while committing a burglary, and another while gambling illegally, according to the release.
Police also conducted a search in the 900 block of North Waller in connection with the arrests, and recovered a small amount of heroin, two handguns and a shotgun, the release read.
Those arrested were:
- George Compton, 18, of Maywood. Charges: Delivery of a controlled substance, gambling
- Gregory Brown, 37, of the 4500 block of South Lavergne. Charges: Delivery of a controlled substance, burglary
- James Lostion, 30, of the 4800 block of West Rice. Charge: Drug conspiracy
- Deron Collins, 18, of the 1100 block of North Keeler. Charge: Delivery of a controlled substance
- Jamarl Williams, 18, of the 900 block of North Leclaire. Charge: Warrant for dangerous drugs
- Jamion Winters, 18, of the 900 block of North Lamon. Charge: Warrant for delivery of a controlled substance
- Pledge Diming, 47, of the 900 block of North Leclaire. Charge: Warrant for delivery of a controlled substance
- Juvenile, 16. Charge: Possession of a controlled substance