Attacked Girl Still Can't Recognize Her Family | NBC Chicago

Attacked Girl Still Can't Recognize Her Family



    (Published Thursday, Oct. 31, 2013)

    A 12-year-old Orland Hills girl continues to recover in a local hospital after she was attacked and nearly abducted Monday.

    Family members say she doesn't even recognize them.

    "We are sort of worried, but doctors say it might not be permanent, but you never know," the girl's brother, Zied Tarawneh, said Wednesday.

    The girl attended Prairie View Middle School in Tinley Park, where the superintendent says parents on on edge.

    Victim's Brother Describes Attempted Abduction

    [CHI] Victim's Brother Describes Attempted Abduction
    A 12-year-old southwest suburban girl remained hospitalized Tuesday after she was beaten by a man who tried to abduct her and force her into a car while she was on her way home from school Monday, according to authorities.
    (Published Wednesday, Oct. 30, 2013)

    "They are nervous," Kirby District 140 Superintendent Dr. Mike Byrne says. "When they hear something like this, it is a shock. It's not something that happens in our community. You just don't hear about it."

    At other schools in the Orland Hills area, there are new concerns and new safety measures that many parents are taking.

    "There has been a lot of parents walking with their children, coming to pick them up, and we had a lot less kids walking today," crossing guard Robin Jankosky said.

    12-Year-Old Girl Beaten During Abduction Attempt

    [CHI] 12-Year-Old Girl Beaten During Abduction Attempt
    Police in Orland Hills are increasing patrols after a man attacked a 12 year old girl as she walked home from her bus stop. Officers say it happened Monday afternoon near her home at 169th Street and 88th Avenue. NBC5’s Charlie Wojciechowski reports.
    (Published Wednesday, Oct. 30, 2013)

    Orland Hills police say there are no suspects in the case, and may try to talk to the victim again.

    "My investigators did a great job of interviewing her at the hospital. We were able to ascertain the information we have so far, but being sensitive to her needs and her age, we didn't want to go too hard, Chief Thomas Scully said. "We're giving precedent to her treatment over our investigation.