If you're sick in Illinois, Northwestern Memorial Hospital is your best bet, according to the U.S. News' 2014-15 Best Regional Hospital Rankings.
“Our hospitals are among the nation’s best for two reasons: our Patients First mission that guides our decision making and our culture of excellence,” said Dean M. Harrison, Northwestern Memorial Health Care's president and CEO, in a statement.
The annual rankings reviewed nearly 5,000 U.S. medical centers and examined 16 medical specialties including cancer, urology and psychiatry. The top 17 hospitals in the country -- including Northwestern Memorial -- earned exceptional scores in six or more medical specialties.
Northwestern Hospital ranked high nationally in specialties including urology, neurology and neurosurgery and diabetes and endocrinology. According to the results of patient surveys, approximately 80 percent of patients would recommend the hospital to friends and family.
As for regional rankings, U.S. News reviewed 118 hospitals in Chicago and nearby suburbs including Aurora, Evanston, Joliet and Naperville, but only 41 made the list.
Of the 220 hospitals in Illinois, Rush University Medical Center in Chicago ranked 2nd place. Advocate Christ Medical Center in Oak Lawn and Loyola University Medical Center in Maywood tied for 3rd, and St. Alexis Medical Center in Hoffman Estates ranked fifth.
The best hospital rankings are based on factors and statistics such as death rates for patients in difficult cases, patient safety and physician surveys, according to U.S. News.
“We are grateful to be recognized by U.S. News & World Report and proud of our talented
physicians, nurses and staff who have earned this recognition,” Harrison said.
Top 10 Hospitals in Illinois:
1. Northwestern Memorial Hospital in Chicago
2. Rush Medical Center in Chicago
3. (tie) Advocate Christ Medical Center in Chicago and Loyola University Medical Center in Maywood
5. St. Alexius Medical Center in Hoffman Estates
6. University of Chicago Medical Center in Chicago
7. (tie) Advocate Lutheran General Hospital in Chicago and Alexian Brothers Medical Center in Elk Grove Village
9. (three-way tie) Advocate Illinois Masonic Medical Center in Park Ridge, Cadence Health Center DuPage Hospital in Winfield and NorthShore Evanston Hospital in Evanston