Mattress Fire Spreads in Uptown Apartment Building

Sunday, Jun 12, 2011  |  Updated 2:43 PM CDT
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
Mattress Fire Spreads in Uptown Apartment Building

advertisement

A man accidentally sparked a two-alarm apartment fire in the Uptown neighborhood while using a lighter to look for something under a mattress, Chicago Breaking News reported.

It happened at 4:45 a.m. at 915 W. Wilson Ave., Fire Department spokesman Larry Langford said.

The mattress fire started in apartment 314, on the third floor, according to Langford.

The 57-year-old man who accidentally started the fire was taken to Weis Memorial Hospital suffering from smoke inhalation. He's listed in good condition. Three other people were treated at the scene.

Fire crews called an EMS Plan 1, which sends at least five ambulances to the scene, as well as a 2-11 alarm, Langford told the paper.

All smoke detectors were in working order.

Get the latest headlines sent to your inbox!
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
Leave Comments
What's New
Get Our Weather App
Stay ahead of the storm with the NBC 5... Read more
Follow Us
Sign up to receive news and updates that matter to you.
Send Us Your Story Tips
Check Out