Kids Playing with Fireworks Ignite Blaze: Officials

An elderly woman went to the hospital for smoke inhalation

By Ivanna Hampton
|  Tuesday, Jul 5, 2011  |  Updated 8:39 AM CDT
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
Fire officials blamed fireworks for igniting an apartment building fire in Pilsen.

Ivanna Hampton

Fire officials blamed fireworks for igniting an apartment building fire in Pilsen.

advertisement

Kids playing with fireworks in Pilsen ignited a blaze that sent an elderly woman to the hospital, according to fire officials.

The fire started on the back porch of a brick building Monday in the 1300 block of West 18th and spread to two nearby buildings, the Sun-Times reports

Medical crews took an 80-year-old woman to University of Illinois Medical Center in good to fair condition for smoke inhalation, the paper reports. 

The owner of the building where the fire started said he owned the building for 30 years.

Rodolfo Alvarez, who is also owner of the hardware store in the same building, said he believes fireworks are a safety risk and revealed his own grandkids wanted him to buy them fireworks recently. 

"I said, 'Nope it's a hazard. We might cause a fire,'" he said.

Get the latest headlines sent to your inbox!
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
Leave Comments
What's New
Get Our Weather App
Stay ahead of the storm with the NBC... Read more
Follow Us
Sign up to receive news and updates that matter to you.
Send Us Your Story Tips
Check Out