Northwestern Building Reopened After Gunman Scare

Email
|
Print

    NEWSLETTERS

    Chicago police are letting people back in to a downtown Northwestern University building after a gunman was allegedly seen entering the building this morning. 

    "People in the building no longer must remain behind locked doors and are being allowed to move about in the building," the university said on its Web site. "However, access to the building remains restricted. Northwestern Law School will hold classes this afternoon."

    Alleged Gunman Forces Lockdown of NU Downtown Building

    [CHI] Alleged Gunman Forces Lockdown of NU Downtown Building
    Northwestern University spokeswoman Marla Paul explains the initial report of a gunman on campus. (Published Thursday, Jan 28, 2010)

    Earlier in the day police had locked down the Rubloff building at 375 E. Chicago Ave. and told people in offices to remain there and lock the doors. The university also advised students to stay in their classes or in the library and move away from windows.

    At about 11:30 a.m.  a Chicago Police SWAT team, armed with assault rifles, searched the looking for the man.

    He was described as a white male wearing a black jacket, blue jeans and a button-down shirt, but apparently wasn't found.

    "It was no big deal," Jeff Koelenay, a first year law student who was told to head to the library when the alert went out, told the Chicago Tribune. "I was kind of wondering how long it would be."