Five students were injured Monday in an accident during a chemistry class at Lincoln Park High School on the North Side.
During the class, methanol was being burned inside a container, which shattered, causing the chemical to spill, Fire Media Affairs Director Larry Langford said.
Five students were injured in the accident about noon at the school at 2001 N. Orchard St.
A “mechanical malfunction” caused a small fire, Chicago Public Schools spokeswoman Keiana Barrett said. The instructor quickly put out the flames and followed additional safety protocols, she said.
A 16-year-old boy was in “stable” condition with second-degree burns, Langford said. Four other students suffered minor injuries.
Ultimately, three were taken to the hospital and their parents were notified, officials said.