Fire at home in 6200 block of S. Wolcott
One home, two separate police investigations.
Just hours after Chicago police found the bodies of two men just men, apparently dead from carbon monoxide poisoning, firefighters were called to a blaze at 6225 S. Wolcott. No one was injured in the blaze, Chicago Fire Department officials said, but the timing is interesting to say the least.
Events began Tuesday afternoon, when concerned neighbors asked Chicago police to conduct a well-being check on the home. The men who lived there, Willie Billups, 68, and his adult stepson Tyrone Wrenn, 42, hadn't been seen in days.
Cops responded to the call and found two bodies dead on the floor inside the Wolcott home shortly after 1 p.m., according to Chicago Police News Affairs. Both Wrenn and Billups were pronounced dead on the scene.
Both deaths appeared to be accidental, caused by fumes from a portable generator.
Later, around 12:09 a.m., a fire broke out at the home. It's unclear if the two events are relate, but both incidents are under investigation, according to Chicago Police News Affairs.