Firefighters were on the scene for more than three hours Saturday night after a 2-11 alarm fire blazed through a West Side Building housing a series of businesses.
Officials said the fire began around 7 p.m. in the 3200 block of West Harrison Street when spilled gasoline was ignited by sparks from a broken light in a mechanic shop.
A hazardous material response was called after fire officials discovered gasoline and natural gas burning.
Parts of the building, including the rear wall, collapsed in the flames and Chicago Fire media tweeted Saturday that more destruction was “imminent” as they expected “total structure failure.”
The building housed a mechanic shop, the Mr. Clean car wash and the Heavenly Visions hair salon and barber shop, fire officials said.
The fire was officially put out around 10:05 p.m., officials said.