Mayor Rahm Emanuel and Chicago Police Supt. Garry McCarthy gave the green light on Sunday for 150 police officers to be moved to 15 different police districts over the next two to four weeks so that neighborhoods will be safer.
Emanuel and McCarthy made the announcement Sunday morning during a press conference at the Illinois Centennial Monument, 2596 N. Milwaukee Ave. in the Logan Square neighborhood.
“We are putting them where they can have the best immediate impact on our communities, working with residents -- on the beat," Emanuel said in a release.
Districts that will receive more officers are the Wentworth, Deering, Ogden Monroe, Wood, Shakespeare, Albany Park, Near North, Belmont, Lincoln, Prairie, Morgan Park, Town Hall, Rogers Park and Grand Central.
The moves will be permanent and will take place over the next two to four weeks, the mayor's office said.
Emanuel praised the “exceptional police work” that went into finding and filing charges against the offender involved in the shooting of two young girls last week.
He also said that 33 arrests have already been made in connection with recent mob attacks downtown.
“The identification and apprehension of the offender was a team effort – our officers worked tirelessly across districts and divisions and intimately with the community, which provided solid information to generate leads,” said Emanuel. “This type of community partnership is exactly what we want to see happen in Chicago.”
On May 24, Emanuel announced that 500 police officers primarily from the Department’s Mobile Strike Force and Targeted Response Unit would be redeployed to the Grand Crossing, South Chicago, Calumet, Gresham, Englewood, Chicago Lawn, Harrison and Austin districts.
Only two police districts were not affected by either deployment -- the Central District and the Jefferson Park District.