With names like Black Sabbath and Plague Bringer, the burgers at Kuma's Korner are legendary. But one was just named the best burger in America. Anthony Ponce takes a look -- and a taste -- to find out if it lives up to the hype.
Turns out Chicago's food repertoire goes beyond hot dogs and stuffed pizzas.
A new list from the Daily Meal of the 101 Best Burgers in America ranks Kuma's Corner's "Kuma Burger" the best in the country. Burgers in New York, Los Angeles and Santa Fe follow to create the Top 5.
“The final list spans the country, from sea to shining sea," Dan Myers of the Daily Meal said in a statement.
Kuma's popular hamburger is topped with bacon, sharp cheddar, a fried egg, lettuce, tomato and onion. Two other Chicago burgers made the list -- the cheeseburger at Au Cheval ranked No. 29 and the griddled burger at Edzo's ranked No. 53.
To create the list, the Daily Meal nominated nearly 200 burgers from across the country based on last year's suggestions and much research into customer favorites and hidden jems. Chains that expanded outside their hometowns weren't included "to keep the playing field even."
"Even though each of the burgers we found was unique, certain qualities were universal: high-quality beef, proper seasoning, well-proportioned components, and an overall attention to detail that many would call 'making it with love.'"
A panel of 50 "noted writers, journalists, bloggers and culinary authorities" voted for their favorites limited to the ones they tried.
In the end, New York had 15 entries on the list, followed by seven from the Los Angeles area, five in Atlanta and four in Boston, the D.C. area, Philadelphia, Nashville and San Francisco. Chicago snagged three spots.
This isn't the Windy City's first accolade from the publication. Last month, the Daily Meal declared Fat Johnnie’s Famous Red Hots’ “Mighty Dog” as America’s best hot dog.
Top 10 burgers in the U.S. See the full list here
1. Kuma Burger, Kuma's Corner (Chicago)
2. Luger Burger, Peter Luger (Brooklyn, New York)
3. Black Label Burger, Minetta Tavern (New York City)
4. The Office Burger, Father's Office (Los Angeles)
5. Green Chile Cheeseburger, Santa Fe Bite (Santa Fe)
6. Build-Your-Own Burger, Burger Bar (Las Vegas)
7. Double Cheeseburger, Holeman & Finch Public House (Atlanta)
8. Bash Style, Burger & Barrel (New York City)
9. The Original Burger, Louis Lunch (New Haven, Connecticut)
10. Hickory Burger, The Apple Pan (Los Angeles)