Cardinal Francis George made his first public comments Friday after he was diagnosed with cancer for the second time.
George addressed reporters before the Hispanic Ministry Awards Banquet “Noche de Gala" in Oakbrook Terrace, and said he will know more information early next week when doctors -- including some from the Mayo Clinic -- have a chance to analyze the test results.
Tests performed last week at Loyola University Medical Center revealed cancerous cells in his kidney and in a nodule that was removed from his liver.
George said he's been examined every six months, but six years after beating bladder cancer, he had hoped it was cured.
"I felt I licked something ... and then I didn't," George said.
The Cardinal showed a sense of humor -- saying that if he has to undergo chemo, it may have a reverse affect and cause his hair to grow back -- but he was also realistic about the seriousness of the diagnosis.
"If this is a call to be with him in eternity, then that's a welcome call in that sense, but it's also a fearful call, because there's so much that's unknown," George said.
George said he feels good and his appetite has been good, although he gets tired at times.
He said there will likely be changes in his public schedule going forward, but it's too early to speculate.