1 Dead, 7 Injured in Oak Brook Carbon Monoxide Leak

At least five people transported to the hospital

View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print

    NEWSLETTERS

    At least seven people were hospitalized and one person was killed following a carbon monoxide leak in a suburban Oak Brook home Thursday morning. (Published Thursday, Jan 16, 2014)

    At least seven people were hospitalized and one person was killed following a carbon monoxide leak in a suburban Oak Brook home Thursday morning.

    The Oak Brook Fire Department responded just before 10 a.m. in the 2900 block of Oak Brook Hills Road for a report of people with breathing problems, the department said.

    Family Shocked by Death of Family Found Dead in Indiana Home

    [CHI] Family Shocked by Death of Family Found Dead in Indiana Home
    Four family members just moving into their new home in Merrillville, Ind., were found dead Wednesday night, the victims of apparent carbon monoxide poisoning. (Published Thursday, Oct 17, 2013)

    "Upon arrival on the scene, there were numerous members of the household that were with various other medical complaints -- trouble breathing and disorientation, which lead crews to believe there was some outside source causing this," Oak Brook fire chief Terry Clark said.

    Seven women, from ages 23 to 70, were transported to Advocate Good Samaritan Hospital and an 84-year-old man who was found in a first-floor bathroom was pronounced dead.

    Skokie Residents Hospitalized in Carbon Monoxide Leak

    [CHI] Skokie Residents Hospitalized in Carbon Monoxide Leak
    At least 12 people, including children, were hospitalized by a carbon monoxide leak at an apartment building in Skokie Thursday. (Published Thursday, Dec 19, 2013)

    A defective indoor pool heater is believed to be the cause of the leak, according to authorities.

    The carbon monoxide levels exceeded 1,000 parts per million. First responders said they heard no audible alarms from carbon monoxide detectors.

    First responders reported that they heard no audible alarms when they entered the building, so it's not clear if the carbon monoxide detectors were working or even present.

    Oak Brook Police said there does not appear to be any "foul play" but their investigation is ongoing.