1 Dead, 7 Injured in Oak Brook Carbon Monoxide Leak

At least five people transported to the hospital

Friday, Jan 17, 2014  |  Updated 5:57 AM CDT
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
At least seven people were hospitalized and one person was killed following a carbon monoxide leak in a suburban Oak Brook home Thursday morning.

At least seven people were hospitalized and one person was killed following a carbon monoxide leak in a suburban Oak Brook home Thursday morning.

advertisement
Photos and Videos

Family Shocked by Death of Family Found Dead in Indiana Home

Four family members just moving into their new home in Merrillville, Ind., were found dead Wednesday night, the victims of apparent carbon monoxide poisoning.

Skokie Residents Hospitalized in Carbon Monoxide Leak

At least 12 people, including children, were hospitalized by a carbon monoxide leak at an apartment building in Skokie Thursday.
More Photos and Videos

At least seven people were hospitalized and one person was killed following a carbon monoxide leak in a suburban Oak Brook home Thursday morning.

The Oak Brook Fire Department responded just before 10 a.m. in the 2900 block of Oak Brook Hills Road for a report of people with breathing problems, the department said.

"Upon arrival on the scene, there were numerous members of the household that were with various other medical complaints -- trouble breathing and disorientation, which lead crews to believe there was some outside source causing this," Oak Brook fire chief Terry Clark said.

Seven women, from ages 23 to 70, were transported to Advocate Good Samaritan Hospital and an 84-year-old man who was found in a first-floor bathroom was pronounced dead.

A defective indoor pool heater is believed to be the cause of the leak, according to authorities.

The carbon monoxide levels exceeded 1,000 parts per million. First responders said they heard no audible alarms from carbon monoxide detectors.

First responders reported that they heard no audible alarms when they entered the building, so it's not clear if the carbon monoxide detectors were working or even present.

Oak Brook Police said there does not appear to be any "foul play" but their investigation is ongoing.

Get the latest headlines sent to your inbox!
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
Leave Comments
What's New
Get Our Weather App
Stay ahead of the storm with the NBC... Read more
Follow Us
Sign up to receive news and updates that matter to you.
Send Us Your Story Tips
Check Out