No Arrests at Sunday's Irish Parade

Two citations issued for illegal vending and possession of cannabis, police say

View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print

    NEWSLETTERS

    mesworthy/Instagram

    This year’s South Side Irish Parade stepped off without a hitch, or any hooch for that matter.

    Police say no arrests were made at the parade, thanks to the zero-tolerance policy  first instituted last year when the parade returned following a hiatus. Two citations were issued for illegal vending and possession of cannabis.

    An estimated 150,000 people attended the parade, which featured 90 entries. That's a 20 percent increase from last year but still a lower amount the usual 125 or more that marched four years ago.

    Kevin Coakley, one of the event's co-chairmen, marched with the first Irish parade in 1979. Coakley said the parade is about creating a fun atmosphere for the kids and honoring the traditions.

    This year's parade honored first responders.

    "The people of Chicago really appreciate what they do," said Diane Patmon, wife of recently fallen Chicago firefighter Walter Patmon. "This is a time to actually celebrate."

    There were 54 arrest during the 2009 parade with charges ranging from public drinking to fighting.