Nine people were hospitalized Saturday after being exposed to formaldehyde at an Elgin factory, officials said.
The Elgin Fire Department said they responded to a reported chemical spill at Capsonic Corporation, at 460 Second Street.
Facility representatives and a HAZMAT team determined an injection molding type machine overheated and instead of melting chemical pellets, it caused the pellets to burn, releasing formaldehyde gas, according to a release from the Elgin Fire Department.
The plant was ventilated, but a total of 12 workers were evaluated, nine of which were transported to area hospitals, the release said.
Workers were experiencing nausea and vomiting, according to Chief Bryan McMahan with the Elgin Fire Department.
Capsonic mostly makes parts for automobiles, according to their website.