Father Charged After Boy, 6, Accidentally Shoots 3-Year-Old Brother to Death | NBC Chicago

Father Charged After Boy, 6, Accidentally Shoots 3-Year-Old Brother to Death

    processing...

    NEWSLETTERS

    A father was charged after his 6-year-old son fatally shot his 3-year-old brother in their Humboldt Park home Saturday night. NBC 5's Alex Maragos reports. (Published Sunday, Oct. 18, 2015)

    A Chicago father has been charged after his 3-year-old son died Saturday night when he was accidentally shot in the head by his 6-year-old brother in their home in the Humboldt Park neighborhood. 

    At about 9:05 p.m., the 6-year-old grabbed a loaded revolver on top of the refrigerator in his home in the 1000 block of North Francisco and then accidentally shot his 3-year-old brother in the head while they played a game of "cops and robbers," according to Chicago police. 

    The boys' grandfather found the 3-year-old, identified as Eian Santiago, after the 6-year-old ran upstairs to him to say his brother had been shot.

    3-Year-Old Accidentally Shot to Death by 6-Year-Old Brother3-Year-Old Accidentally Shot to Death by 6-Year-Old BrotherThe father of a 3-year-old boy was charged after the toddler was fatally shot in the head by his 6-year-old brother. NBC 5's Regina Waldroup reports. (Published Sunday, Oct. 18, 2015)

    "The father must have had a gun in the house, but I never knew it," Israel Lasalle, the grandfather, said.

    Family members took the younger boy to Norwegian American Hospital. He was later transported in critical condition to Mount Sinai Hospital, where he died shortly before midnight Sunday. 

    Michael Santiago, the boys' father, was charged with a felony count of child endangerment/death.
    Photo credit: Chicago Police

    The boys' father, Michael Santiago, was charged Sunday with one felony count of child endangerment/death for "knowingly" storing the loaded gun in the house and making it accessible to his children. Santiago had shown the 6-year-old where the gun was stored last week, but he told him only adults should use it, according to prosecutors.

    Santiago, a former gang member, told police he got the gun from another gang member and used it for "protection," according to Chicago police spokesman Anthony Guglielmi. His record consists of only misdemeanor charges, including a theft in 2010.

    In court Sunday, Santiago was ordered held on $75,000 bond.

    An attorney for Santiago could not be immediately reached.

    News breaks at inconvenient times.  Download one of the NBCChicago mobile apps and have the news come to you. Watch live streaming newscasts, receive critical push notifications on the go and stay in touch with your city around the clock.