A family trying to stay warm ends up losing their home and Christmas presents in a fast moving apartment fire. In all, seven adults and six children are now searching for a new place to live. Lauren Jiggetts reports.
James Desavieu salvaged what was left of his family’s Christmas presents after a fire swept through his apartment Saturday afternoon.
Around 2 p.m., fire officials responded to flames reported in the 5700 block of South Indiana, where a fire burned through an apartment complex.
"They say when it rains it pours...we had just went all out and bought toys for all our children,” Desavieu said.
The fire started in a front bedroom, and Desavieu said he tried to put it out.
"I saw the fire, I ran and got the fire extinguisher, but nothing was in it,” he said.
Desavieu said he ran to other units but other extinguishers were empty too. The building's landlord said he was unaware the extinguishers were empty.
Desavieu says the fire spread quickly and he soon realized there was nothing he could do.
"It built up fast...very fast,” he said. “This is my first experience with a fire, but it burnt fast."
Firefighters quickly rescued Desavieu’s cat Patches, but the family’s Persian, Fluffy, wasn’t located until almost two hours after the fire was out.
Officials said at least seven adults and six children were displaced in the blaze. No injuries were reported.
Fire officials said a space heater may have sparked the fire.
“We didn't lose life...that's most important,” Desavieu said.