12 Hospitalized in Skokie Carbon Monoxide Leak

View Comments ()
|
Email
|
Print

    NEWSLETTERS

    At least 12 people, including children, were hospitalized by a carbon monoxide leak at an apartment building in Skokie Thursday. (Published Thursday, Dec 19, 2013)

    Twelve people were hospitalized Thursday morning after being sickened by carbon monoxide at an apartment building in Skokie, officials said.

    The Skokie Fire Department was called the scene around 3 a.m. in the 8000 block of North Keating Avenue after a resident reported feeling ill.

    Family Shocked by Death of Family Found Dead in Indiana Home

    [CHI] Family Shocked by Death of Family Found Dead in Indiana Home
    Four family members just moving into their new home in Merrillville, Ind., were found dead Wednesday night, the victims of apparent carbon monoxide poisoning. (Published Thursday, Oct 17, 2013)

    Fire officials wearing respirator masks went door-to-door to check on remaining residents in the building.

    A fire official said carbon monoxide levels were high in the building and 12 people, including at least two children, were taken to area hospitals.

    Protect Your Family Against Carbon Monoxide

    [CHI] Protect Your Family Against Carbon Monoxide
    First Alert shows us some new, fancier ways to detect carbon monoxide in your home. (Published Sunday, Feb 17, 2013)

    Initial readings showed carbon monoxide levels in the building were at 500 parts per million, according to authorities. The Occupational Safety and Health Administration deems 50 parts per million to be a safe level.

    The residents are expected to survive but their conditions were not immediately available.

    "We want to make sure everybody’s got their CO detectors working, working CO detectors, and have your furnaces checked," said Capt. Steven Ludkowski with the Skokie Fire Department.

    It was not immediately clear what caused the high levels of carbon monoxide, Ludkowski said.