Suit: Patient Mistakenly Injected With Clothing Dye

In his lawsuit, Elijah Goodwin says green dye permanently damaged his lungs and other organs

Saturday, Apr 7, 2012  |  Updated 1:55 PM CDT
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
Suit: Patient Mistakenly Injected With Clothing Dye

In a lawsuit against Northwestern Memorial Hospital, a 34-year-old man claims doctors accidentally injected him with green clothing dye that damaged his lungs.

Elijah Goodwin says he was supposed to have been injected with an intravenous dye used in medical procedures to make it easier to view blood cells.

The suit, filed Friday in Cook County Circuit Court, claims Goodwin suffered permanent damage to his lungs and other organs.

Goodwin says he went to the hospital's emergency room in April 2010 as a result of a brain aneurysm and had surgery. There, doctors doing a follow-up procedure mistakenly used "Brilliant Green dye,” which is sometimes used to color silk, wool and other fabrics, the lawsuit claims, adding that the dye is "extremely poisonous."

Goodwin is seeking $450,000 plus attorney's fees.

A Northwestern spokeswoman says the hospital is unable to comment at this time.

Get the latest headlines sent to your inbox!
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
Leave Comments
What's New
Get Our Weather App
Stay ahead of the storm with the NBC 5... Read more
Follow Us
Sign up to receive news and updates that matter to you.
Send Us Your Story Tips
Check Out