As many as 35 people are taken to hospitals after they were reportedly overcome by carbon monoxide at a converted northwest suburban factory on Friday afternoon.
Emergency crews were called to the Elgin-O'Hare Commerce Center, on St. Charles Street near Bluff City Boulevard, shortly after 2 p.m.
"I heard they transported as many as 35 (to hospitals)," a South Elgin fire dispatcher told the Chicago Sun-Times.
She said the building was an old factory which had been modified and was now used by several businesses.
The building has been evacuated.
Tests were being done to confirm the illnesses were in fact caused by carbon monoxide. Kane County Sheriff’s police are investigating but were not immediately available to comment.