In these cases, robbers are letting their victims come to them.
Armed robbers have recently been placing food orders from cell phones and then robbing the delivery drivers when they arrive, police said in a community alert Tuesday.
Police offer these precautions to drivers making deliveries:
- Request customers leave porch or vestibule lights on.
- If the house or building looks abandoned, leave immediately.
- Be suspicious if the caller indicates change is needed for a large bill.
- Do not leave the vehicle until making visual contact with the customer.
- Call customer again upon arrival.
- Call 911 if you receive a call from one of the numbers listed below.
Detectives said these phone numbers have been used in the phony orders:
- (773) 587−7674
- (773) 683−8649
- (773) 765−8423
- (773) 936−0533
- (312) 890−1982
- (708) 530−6183
These robberies may not be confined to the Wentworth Area. Last week a woman was shot in the leg during a robbery while delivering pizza on the Far South Side in the 400 block of West 117th Street, police said.