A Tribune editorial on Monday encourages readers to call members of the Cook County Board to dissuade them from voting to borrow hundreds of millions of dollars, which will ultimately fall on the backs of taxpayers.
According to an editorial in the paper, the best alternative for covering the county's operating expenses would be to "make modest cuts of perhaps 6 percent in a government bloated with surplus and politically connected employees."
The paper included the following list of Democratic board members in its editorial, as well as more background on why the Tribune is discouraging the loan:
• William Beavers, South Side and south suburbs: 312-603-2067 and 773-731-1515.
• Jerry "Iceman" Butler, Near South Side, south suburbs: 312-603-6391.
•Earlean Collins, West Side, west suburbs: 312-603-4566 and 773-626-2184.
• Roberto Maldonado, Northwest and North sides: 312-603-6386 and 773-395-0143.
• Joseph Mario Moreno, Southwest Side, Cicero: 312-603-5443 and 773-927-7154.
•Joan Patricia Murphy, south suburbs: 312-603-4216 and 708-389-2125.
• Deborah Sims, South Side, south suburbs: 312-603-6381 and 708-371-4251.
•Robert Steele, Near North, West and South Sides: 312-603-3019 and 773-722-0140.
• President Todd Stroger: 312-603-6400 and 312-603-5500.