Town Heals and Remembers

Algonquin Arcade Unplugs Violent Games

Arcade owners compelled to make move after Sandy Hook school shooting

By Sharon Wright and Lisa Balde
|  Monday, Jan 7, 2013  |  Updated 9:05 PM CDT
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
No Limit Arcade owner says he's

No Limit Arcade owner says he's "declaring war on violent video games." Sharon Wright reports.

In the wake of the tragic shootings last month in Newtown, Conn., the owners of an Algonquin video arcade have removed from their shop what they feel are violent games.
 
Kevin Slota, co-owner of No Limit Arcade, unplugged 12 first-person shooter games after hearing that they could be to blame for the Sandy Hook tragedy. Slota chose games that involved the shooting of people or zombies, which he says look human, and will replace them with "all-ages" options.

The games include “Revolution X,” “Maximum Force,” “Gunblade” and “The House of the Dead.”

"We did choose the proper games to pull off of the floor. Anything that involved directly shooting a human we decided it's time for those to go," said Mark Battaglia, Slota's partner in the business.

"Mortal Kombat" stayed because the game uses martial arts instead of guns. Games in which aliens or animals were the targets also made the cut.

On the arcade's Facebook page, Slota called the move "declaring war on violent video games."

"Do these games really have an influence on the people. To be honest with you, I'm not sure," said Battaglia.

But the shop's actions indicate they're not taking any chances.

The general manager of Odyssey Fun World in Naperville told the Daily Herald he doesn't plan on removing similar games from his arcade.

Get the latest headlines sent to your inbox!
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
Leave Comments
What's New
Get Our Weather App
Stay ahead of the storm with the NBC 5... Read more
Follow Us
Sign up to receive news and updates that matter to you.
Send Us Your Story Tips
Check Out