South Side Irish Parade Organizers Hope to Continue Zero Arrest Trend | NBC Chicago

South Side Irish Parade Organizers Hope to Continue Zero Arrest Trend

Parade was canceled for two years after 2009 because of problems along the parade route, most linked to alcohol



    The parade was canceled in 2010 and 2011 because of problems with alcohol in previous year. NBC Chicago's Anthony Ponce reports. (Published Friday, March 13, 2015)

    Organizers of Chicago's South Side Irish Parade -- previously known for its rowdy celebrations and open drinking -- said they hope to continue a trend they've seen for the last two years: zero arrests.

    It's an annual event that earned a reputation for wild shenanigans. Fifty-four people were arrested during the 2009 parade, prompting officials to cancel it for the following two years. It returned in 2012 with a "zero tolerance" policy on alcohol.

    "There's no alcohol served along the parade route, or people bringing alcohol along the parade is strictly prohibited. In fact, if you get caught, there's a fine involved," said parade treasurer George Nedved.

    Preparations for the parade were already in full swing by midday Friday, with banners  on posts, barricades at the ready and crews from the Office of Emergency Management and Communications installing some surveillance cameras.

    The parade steps off Sunday at 12 p.m. from 103rd and proceed down Western Avenue to 115th Street. Complete parade information is posted to


    News breaks at inconvenient times.  Download the NBCChicago mobile app and have the news come to you. Watch live streaming newscasts, receive critical push notifications on the go and stay in touch with your city around the clock.