“American Idol” Now Accepting Online Auditions

MySpace to accommodate wannabe pop stars with a web cam; Judging panel to be announced Wednesday

By DANIEL MACHT
|  Thursday, Sep 16, 2010  |  Updated 6:31 PM CDT
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
American Idol" executive producer Nigel Lythgoe chats about his plans to shift the focus of "Idol" from the judges back to the contestants." />

Access Hollywood

"American Idol" executive producer Nigel Lythgoe chats about his plans to shift the focus of "Idol" from the judges back to the contestants.

advertisement
Photos and Videos
More Photos and Videos

Don’t want to stand in line with thousands of other “American Idol” wannabes? No problem.

Fox said Wednesday it will allow “Idol” hopefuls to submit video auditions via MySpace (remember that site?) through Oct. 6.

The network will then allow a “select” but unspecified number of online entrants from the News Corporation-owned social networking service to tryout live in Los Angeles, The Associated Press reported.

Despite the move to democratize “Idol’s” audition process ahead of its 10th season -- the show has lowered its age restriction to 15 -- there are restrictions.

First, online a cappella performances cannot extend past 40 seconds.

Contestants must also choose their audition songs from a pre-approved list of 90 tunes that reportedly includes such hits as: Keith Urban's "Kiss a Girl," Barry Manilow's "Copacabana" and “Achy Breaky Heart” by Billy Ray Cyrus.

Since the summer, “Idol” has held live auditions that have drawn tens of thousands of contestants in places like Nashville, Tenn., and Austin, Texas, according to the AP.

The taping has occurred even as "Idol's" slate of final judges remains in flux, following the exits of Simon Cowell, Ellen DeGeneres and Kara DioGuardi.

Fox announced Thursday that host Ryan Seacrest will announce the show's final line-up of judges Sept. 22 in Los Angeles, People mag reported.

Jennifer Lopez and Aerosmith singer Steven Tyler are reportedly set to join original panelist Randy Jackson ahead of “Idol’s” January premiere.

Last month, the show's returning executive producer, Nigel Lythgoe, said "Idol" seemed to have lost track of its main focus -- discovering the next "American Idol."

"It was all about the judges," he told Access Hollywood. "We forgot about the main thing, which is the talent."

Looks like Wednesday's move is the first test of Lythgoe's new direction.

Selected Reading: Associated Press, EW, MySpace

 

 

 


 

Get the latest headlines sent to your inbox!
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
Leave Comments
What's New
Get Our Weather App
Stay ahead of the storm with the NBC... Read more
Follow Us
Sign up to receive news and updates that matter to you.
Send Us Your Story Tips
Check Out