Photos and VideosMore Photos and Videos
"The X Factor" has officially been canceled.
Simon Cowell is set to return the UK version of the reality singing competition after Fox decided not to renew its U.S. counterpart for a fourth season, the network announced on Friday, along with Syco and FremantleMedia North America.
"I've had a fantastic time over the last 12 years, both on 'The X Factor' and 'American Idol.' And apart from being lucky enough to find some amazing talent on the shows, I have always had an incredible welcome from the American public (most of the time!)," Cowell said in a statement. "Last year, for a number of reasons, I had to make a decision to return to the U.K. version of 'The X Factor' in 2014. So for now, I'm back to the U.K. and I want to thank Fox for being an incredible partner and I also want to thank everybody who has supported my shows. America, I'll see you soon!"
"To all of us at Fox, Simon is more than one of the most prolific TV personalities of our time --he's part of our family. A consummate showman and partner, there's no one more passionate or creative than Simon, and we feel so fortunate to have enjoyed such a wonderful, collaborative relationship with him over the past 12 years," Fox boss Kevin Reilly said. "Unfortunately, there is no 'X Factor' USA without Simon Cowell, but we understand and support his decision to focus on the international formats and on the next phase of his personal life. We wish him the very best, and it's our sincere hope that we work together again soon."
"The X Factor's" cancellation shouldn't come as much of a surprise, given its lackluster ratings throughout its three-season run on Fox, as well as its constant judging shakeups. Nicole Scherzinger and Paula Abdul left the judges' table after season one, with Britney Spears and Demi Lovato taking their seats. After season two, L.A. Reid exited the series, with Kelly Rowland and Paulina Rubio filling the void. Lovato announced her exit from the series prior to the season three finale.