Our Hearts. Our Choice.
CHOICES. We face them every day. Some choices aren’t important, while others are life changing. But what if the seemingly unimportant choices were the ones that mattered? Like choosing to take the stairs, not the elevator? Opting for baked instead of fried?
What if these choices influenced whether you were the one in every three women to die of heart disease this year?
Choosing to ignore your heart health might not seem life changing today, but women are dying of heart disease at the rate of almost one per minute. Luckily, this No. 1 killer is largely preventable. We simply have to choose to act.
REASONS TO BELIEVE
· Heart disease is not just a man’s disease, which is why Go Red For Women is dedicated to building awareness of heart disease among women.
· Heart disease is the No. 1 killer of women age 20 and over, but it is largely preventable.
· 1 in 3 women has some form of cardiovascular disease.
· Cardiovascular disease kills approximately 460,000 women each year, which is about one every minute.
· More women die of cardiovascular disease than the nextfive causes of death combined, including all forms of cancer.
· Only 1 in 5 women believes that heart disease is her greatest health threat.
· Choosing to take care of our hearts can help us beat the No. 1 killer of women.
· Research shows that women who “Go Red” are more likely to make healthy choices.
§ More than 40 percent have lost weight.
§ More than half have increased their exercise.
§ Six out of ten have changed their diets.
§ 53 percent have checked their cholesterol levels.
§ One third have investigated their family’s history of heart disease or talked to their doctors about their personal heart risks.
CHOOSE TO TAKE ACTION
· Heart disease kills one woman every minute, but we can change this statistic by making the right choices for our hearts.
· We can turn our personal choices into life-saving actions. Let’s choose to beat heart disease, the No. 1 killer of women, at GoRedForWomen.org.
§ I choose not to be the 1 in 3 women to die of heart disease.
§ I choose to beat heart disease, the No. 1 killer of women.
§ I choose to move, not sit.
§ I choose to eat baked, not fried.
§ I choose to breathe, not smoke.
§ I choose to inspire and connect.
§ I choose to show my support. Donate to Go Red For Women and help save a life today. Receive a red dress pin and wear it proudly to show your support!
§ I choose to speak up, not remain silent. Support legislation that would improve the prevention, diagnosis and treatment of heart disease and stroke in women at HeartForWomen.org.
§ I choose to beat heart disease at GoRedForWomen.org. Whether it’s eating healthier, exercising more, reducing our cholesterol, or quitting smoking, we can turn our personal choices into life-saving actions with the resources at GoRedForWomen.org.
Go Red For Women, powered by the American Heart Association’s research, educates and connects millions of women of all ages. GoRedForWomen.org is the No. 1 online destination where women can learn how to make heart-healthy choices every day.
Published at 4:56 PM CST on Mar 3, 2009