Watch Navy Pier's famed Fourth of July fireworks show right here on NBC 5's live stream!
Independence Day is celebrated all over the city, but you can be at the center of it all at Navy Pier's Freedom Fest and Fireworks Show. As the city's only lakefront show, its a top destination for Fourth of July celebrations.
Navy Pier will open to the public at 10 a.m. Saturday for holiday festivities prior to the fireworks show. Freedom Fest, located on Navy Pier's rooftop, will begin at 6:30 p.m. with a full bar, a live DJ, and barbecue cookout. Guests will also be able to enjoy specialty Fourth of July boat cruises. The event is open to all ages.
After Freedom Fest the red, white and blue Aon Summer Fireworks Fourth of July Show will begin. The fireworks show will start promptly at 9:30 p.m. and will be synchronized to a patriotic soundtrack.
Be sure to plan your visit accordingly, as gates are expected to close in the afternoon due to the large crowds expected.
On-site parking at the Navy Pier parking garages have reached full capacity as of 1:40 p.m. Saturday. If you're planning on driving, you will have to find alternate parking further away from the pier.
Navy Pier recommends drivers find parking at one of three locations that offer a discounted rate of $15 for up to 12 hours:
- Grand Plaza Self Park (540 N. State St.): Enter from Grand or Ohio Streets, then take the Navy Pier trolley from State Street
- Ogden Plaza Self Park (300 E. North Water St.): Enter from Illinois Street, turn right onto New Street or McClurg, turn right on East North Water, then take the Navy Pier trolley from Illinois Street
- Millennium Lakeside Garage (5 S. Columbus): Enter on Columbus between Monroe and Randolph, then take the Navy Pier trolley from East Randolph
What you need to know about the festivities
As Navy Pier is expected to reach capacity, organizers released a set of rules guests must follow:
- All bags are subject to inspection and large bags and backpacks are strongly discouraged. Multiple inspection points will be located throughout the Pier.
- Coolers, bikes, skateboards, rollerblades and skate shoes are not allowed.
- Outside alcohol is prohibited.
- No pets or animals are permitted, with the exception of service animals.
- Upon closure, re-entry is not permitted. If you leave Navy Pier property and the Pier closes, you are not guaranteed access back into Navy Pier. It is recommended that all parties remain together.
- Guests with tickets to a boat cruise, performance or reservations at a restaurant should arrive hours in advance to allow for extra travel time.
- No parking, stopping or standing along adjacent streets to Navy Pier. This includes Streeter Drive, Grand Avenue and Illinois Street.
- Visitors are encouraged to take public transportation or to park at one of Navy Pier's parking garages, which are offering a dicounted rate of $15. The locations of the parking garages include Grand Plaza Self Park at 540 N. State, Ogden Plaza Self Park at 300 E. North Water St. and Millennium Lakeside Garage at 5 S. Columbus.
Visit the Navy Pier website for additional information about Navy Pier's Fourth of July Celebration.