Chef Mariela Bolanos of Chicago's MAD Social joined NBC 5's Alex Maragos to share her secrets to making the best burger ahead of Chicago Gourmet's "Hamburger Hop."
The friendly burger showdown kicks off the annual food fest on Friday, Sept. 23.
MAD BURGER RECIPE
The West Loop's MAD Social serves up their MAD Burger with house ground wagyu, chihuahua cheese, crisp pork belly, cajun onion strings, MAD mayo, house pickles, baby arugula, brioche bun and house made fries.
- 8 ounces Buckhead dry-aged beef, seasoned both sides with salt and pepper
- 1 4” brioche bun, toasted
- 1 slice chihuahua cheese
- 4 slices sour pickles
- 1 handful of crispy fried onions, either store bought or hand made
- 4 tablespoons MAD mayonnaise
- 1-2 ounces of home-made pork belly or 2 slices of crispy smoked bacon slices
- 1 cup baby arugula tossed in olive oil, salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise either hand-made or store bought
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons of roasted garlic puree
- ½ teaspoon white balsamic vinegar
- ½ teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
1. Whisk all ingredients together, season with salt and pepper, refrigerate until ready to use.
2. Pre-heat grill to medium high setting. Use non-stick spray to pre-season the grill grates so that the meat does not stick when cooking.
3. Place beef patty on grill and cook to desired temperature. If you are using pork belly, grill it until crispy so that it is ready at the same time as the beef.
4. Place slice of Chihuahua cheese over beef patty, allow to melt.
5. Start building the burger in the order that you choose. I build mine as follows:
Bottom bun, 2 tablespoons of MAD mayonnaise, baby arugula, beef patty with cheese, pickles, pork belly or bacon, crispy onions, MAD mayonnaise smeared on top bun, top bun to finish.