Going forward, the investigation into a 2004 homicide allegedly involving former Mayor Richard Daley's nephew will not cost taxpayers a dime.
Special Prosecutor Dan Webb said that as of the beginning of the year, the probe into David Koschman's death will be done on a pro bono basis. Any future bills would be limited to requests for reimbursement for "reasonable expenses only," according to a statement from Circuit Court of Cook County Chief Judge Timothy Evans' office.
Officials last month charged Daley's nephew, Richard "R.J." Vanecko, with one count of involuntary manslaughter. He's pleaded not guilty.
Appointed last April, Webb and his team of Winston and Strawn attorneys have submitted bills totaling $800,000 as of last November.
Webb was appointed by Judge Michael J. Toomin to closely examine not only who was responsible for Koschman's death, but whether the Chicago Police Department and the Cook County State's Attorney's Office in any way failed to aggressively or transparently investigate the circumstances surrounding the April 25, 2004 confrontation on Chicago's Division Street.
In informing the judge of the decision to no longer charge attorney's fees, the law firm said it was keeping with its long history of pro bono work which included the estimated $10 million defense of former Gov. George Ryan. Ryan was released from prison on Wednesday.
- Timeline: David Koschman Case
- Remembering David Koschman
- Webb to Interview Daley Security in Koschman Death