5. George Ryan, Illinois Secretary of State, 1991-99, Governor of Illinois 1999-2003. His secretary of state’s office sold licenses for bribes, which ended up in his campaign fund. One of the purchasers caused an accident that killed six children.
6. Orville Hodge, Illinois Auditor of Public Accounts, 1953-56. Who’s in a better position to embezzle than the guy hired to watch out for embezzlers. Hodge stole $1.5 million, which he spent on a Rolls-Royce, a private jet and a hotel.
7. Otto Kerner, Governor of Illinois, 1963-68. The man known as “Mr. Clean” went to prison for accepting Arlington Park stock in exchange for racing dates and highway exits.
8. Len Small, Governor of Illinois, 1921-29. After Small was acquitted of embezzling $1 million, most of the jurors got state jobs.
9. William Lorimer, U.S. Senator, 1909-12. Lorimer bribed the General Assembly to send him to the U.S. Senate, which eventually sent him back.
10. Fred Roti, Chicago alderman, 1967-90. The Outfit’s man on the City Council.
11. S. Glenn Young, federal Prohibition agent. Helped the Ku Klux Klan take over “Bloody Williamson” county.
12. William Carothers, Chicago alderman, 1980-83. Not only was Carothers convicted of corruption, so was his son Isaac.
Buy this book! Ward Room blogger Edward McClelland's book, Young Mr. Obama: Chicago and the Making of a Black President, is available on Amazon. Young Mr. Obama includes reporting on President Obama's earliest days in the Windy City, covering how a presumptuous young man transformed himself into presidential material. Buy it now!