Love is what it was all about today at Chicago's Gay Pride Parade. All the colors of the rainbow, and so much fun.
The Gay Pride Parade is one of the most important places for a Chicago politician to be seen. And we saw a lot of politicians on Sunday. Here are the ones who made the biggest impressions:
- Cook County Board President Toni Preckwinkle, dressed in her usual Miss Jane Hathaway get-up of button-down blouse and skirt, flinging beads into the crowd with a gummy smile on her face.
- County Commissioner Jeff Tobolinski, his name on a tie-dyed rainbow banner.
- Cook County Clerk of Circuit Court Dorothy Brown, waving a rainbow flag.
- Gov. Pat Quinn, at the head of a brigade of marchers wearing green “QUINN” t-shirts, behind him a sign demanding, “SEND GOV. QUINN THE BILL. MARRIAGE EQUALITY NOW.”
- Congressman Mike Quigley, in a Blackhawks jersey.
- Ald. Scott Waguespack, his name on a Ford F150 with the motto, “WE MARCH FOR EQUALITY.”
- Ald. Joe Moreno, sponsoring a “pedal pub,” a rolling bar powered by a dozen cyclists.
- Police Supt. Garry McCarthy, riding in an open convertible, followed by L.G.P.A.-GOAL OFFICERS, a float manned by gay cops.
- Congresswoman Jan Schakowsky, followed by a van playing Daft Punk’s “Get Lucky.”
- Metropolitan Water Reclamation District Commissioner Debra Shore, riding on a blue float labeled “Deep Tunnel.”
- Ald. Joe Moore, marching ahead of Illinois United for Marriage, holding “WE ARE COMMITTED TO THE FREEDOM TO MARRY” sign.
- State Sen. Mike Freirichs of Champaign, who is considering a run for state treasurer and wants to get his name out in Chicago.
- Comptroller and gay icon Judy Baar Topinka, the only Republican we spotted, riding in a Cooper Mini convertible.
- Cook County State’s Attorney Anita Alvarez, sitting atop a float announcing she “SALUTES PRIDE MONTH AND THE L.G.B.T. COMMUNITY.”
- Shirtless men in briefs gyrating to “Chelsea Dagger” on Cook County Sheriff Tom Dart’s float. (The sheriff was not among them.)
- “WE CAN’T WAIT TO MARRY YOU” – Cook County Clerk David Orr.