CHICAGO - JULY 27: Former Illinois Governor Rod Blagojevich arrives at court July 27, 2010 in Chicago, Illinois. Blagojevich's lawyers are expected to give their closing arguments in the trial today. Blagojevich has been charged with corruption including accusations of trying to sell the U.S. Senate seat vacated by President Barack Obama after Obama's November 2008 election. (Photo by Scott Olson/Getty Images)
After Rod Blagojevich was spotted playing an ’80s trivia game in the Dirksen Building cafeteria, it was suggested that he should test his knowledge of some other ’80s trivia, more pertinent to his case. So Rod, if you’re reading, here’s Ward Room’s “I Love Illinois Corruption In the ’80s Quiz.” (With a pop culture question thrown in at the end?) Let’s see if you know as much about your indicted predecessors as you do about Terry Bradshaw.
1. What was the name of the FBI investigation that led to the conviction of 15 Cook County Judges for fixing drug and murder cases?
2. Who was Illinois’ lieutenant governor for most of the 1980s (he went on to become secretary of state, governor and a prisoner at the Oxford Correctional Facility)?
3. In 1983, this West Side alderman was convicted of blocking a hospital expansion until he received $15,000 worth of remodeling for his ward office. (Hint: his son also became an alderman, and also went to prison for taking bribes.)
4. During the 1980s, how many Chicago alderman were convicted of bribery and extortion?
5. Which Cook County Circuit Court Clerk was convicted of racketeering, extortion, mail fraud and tax violations for accepting a bribe from an FBI mole?
6. What was the name of the sting operation that nabbed the Circuit Court Clerk, Harold Washington aide Clarence McClain and four aldermen?
7. Which Illinois congressman was censured in 1983 for having sex with a 17-year-old House page, then defeated for re-election the next year?
8. Which former Illinois governor and then-banking executive was convicted in 1987 of receiving over $1 million in fraudulent loans?
9. What was the name of Illinois-born President Ronald Reagan’s biggest political scandal, which dominated the headlines in the summer of 1986?
10. Who played Gov. Eugene Gatling on the 1908s TV series Benson?