Looking to squeeze in a race before digging in on Thanksgiving? You're not alone! Thanksgiving has surpassed the Fourth of July as the most popular race day of the year, and 777,140 participants ran a race on Turkey day last year. There are so many races happening in the Chicagoland area this year in fact, that we broke them down by region. Here are the races happening in your neck of the woods on Thursday morning:
- Chicago 8K Turkey Chase - 9 a.m. at the Park at Lakeshore East (360 E. South Water St.).Registration is $45 to benefit CARA Road Scholars, and participants receive a race hoodie.
- Old St. Pat’s 28th Annual Turkey Trot - 8 a.m. at Old St. Patrick's Church (700 W. Adams St.). Non-competitive 1-8 miles and free to participate, donation of canned goods suggested.
- LifeTime Fitness Turkey Day 5K Run - 9 a.m. beginning and ending at Cannon Drive (north of Fullerton) in Lincoln Park. Registration is $49 to benefit the Greater Chicago Food Depository, and a donation of two canned goods is suggested. Participants receive a long-sleeve shirt.
- Edison Park Turkey Trot 5K - 9:30 a.m. at the Edison Park Fieldhouse (6755 N. Northwest Hwy). Race-day registration is $25 to benefit the American Heart Association, and participants receive a t-shirt.
- Riis Park Striders Thanksgiving Races - Joe Mittel Memorial Mile at 9:45 a.m. and 5,000 meter Dick King Championship race at 10 a.m., both at Riis Park (6100 W. Fullerton). $3 for the mile, $5 for the 5K
- North Shore Turkey Trot - 5K at 7:30 a.m., 10K at 8:10 a.m. in Highland Park (Park Avenue and St. Johns on the Eastside Metra parking lot). Registration fees are $42 and $54 respectively, benefitting Black Diamond Charities, and participants receive fleece pajama pants.
- Winnetka 5K Turkey Trot - 9 a.m. at the Skokie Lagoons Trail. Registration is $35 to benefit the charity Wings, and participants receive a tech hat and can purchase a shirt.
- Evanston Flying Turkey 5K - 9 a.m. at Centennial Park (on Church and Sheridan). Registration is $35 ($40 on race day) to benefit the Harvest Food Pantry, and participants receive a shirt and goodie bag.
- Drumstick Dash 5K Run with Prediction - 9 a.m. at Fullersburg Woods in Oak Brook (York and Spring Roads). $40 race day registration (beginning at 7:30 a.m.) to benefit the Chicago Hope Academy.
- Bonfield Express 5K - 8:30 a.m. in Downers Grove (Main and Grove Streets). Race day registration is $35 and participants receive a tech shirt. Proceeds go to the Bonfield Express Foundation.
- 30th Annual Dan Gibbons 5K Turkey Trot - 9 a.m. in Elmhurst (Adell Place and Park Avenue). Race day registration is $35, benefitting multiple organizations fighting hunger in DuPage County.
- Addison Park District 1-5 mile Turkey Trot - 8:45 a.m. at the Community Park at 120 E. Oak Street in Addison. Race day registration is $25 ($40 for families) and the participant who estimates their time most closely wins a turkey. Also features a kids' Drumstick Dash.
- The Fox and the Turkey Races - 7:30 a.m. at the Peg Bond Center (151 Island Avenue) in Batavia. $25 fee for the youth mile race (12 and under) and $35 for the 4-mile race. All participants are asked to donate canned goods and receive a hooded t-shirt.
- Henry's Thanksgiving Day Hustle 5-K & Kids' Dash - 8 a.m. at Sunset Park (5200 Miller Road) in Lake in the Hills . This race is free and not timed, and organizers are asking for donations for the Muscular Dystrophy Association and canned goods.
- Wauconda Turkey Trot 4 mile/2mile - 9 a.m. at Main and Mill Streets in Wauconda. Race dayregistration is $20 for the 2-mile race, $30 for the 4-mile. Participants receive a t-shirt and goodie bag and proceeds benefit the Wauconda/Island Lake Food Pantry.
- Thanksgiving Day 5K Run/Walk - 8 a.m. at Lippold Park (851 W. Route 176) in Crystal Lake. No registration fee, but voluntary donations for the Crystal Lake Food Pantry are encouraged.
- 5th Annual Trout Valley Turkey Trot 5K and Kids' Mile - 8 a.m. at the Trout Valley River Front Lodge. $15 for individuals, $50 for families. T-shirt included and canned good donation encouraged.
- McHenry 5K Turkey Trot for Hospice - 8 a.m. at McHenry High School East Campus. Registration is $30 ($35 on race day) benefitting JourneyCare Hospice and Palliative Services, and participants receive a long sleeved shirt.
Check one of these races out and give back to a good cause this Thanksgiving. We have much to be thankful for all year round, and running is one of those wonderful things for which we should be grateful. Keep that in mind this week and let us know-- will you be racing on Thanksgiving?