Instead of sticking to the usual lakefront path on your weekend run, consider mixing it up with a neighborhood jog through Ravenswood to get your miles in.
Since I moved to Chicago in 2008, I have lived in or within walking distance of Ravenswood on Chicago's North Side. It's a relatively quiet, but beautiful, neighborhood bordered by Montrose Avenue to the south, Ashland to the east, Foster to the north and the Chicago River to the west.
Running in a new neighborhood is a fantastic way to get to know the area, and Ravenswood is a neighborhood that seems built for runners. From its leafy, historic side streets to its many wonderful small businesses, a route through Ravenswood is perfect for a serene Saturday morning run.
Here is my suggested 5K running route through Ravenswood:
- Start at the Montrose Brown Line station and run east a few blocks to Paulina Avenue
- Head north on Paulina to Winnemac Avenue
- Go west on Winnemac to Winnemac Park, and follow the path across the park and back
- Run east on Winnemac to Hermitage Avenue
- Head south on Hermitage, ending at Montrose