Jahlil Okafor and Cliff Alexander headline the list of 13 players from Illinois nominated for the 2014 McDonald's All-American Game.
The McDonald’s All-American game is coming back to Chicago on April 2 at the United Center, and it was announced Tuesday that 13 area stars have been nominated to participate.
While a nomination in itself isn’t a guaranteed invite to play in the game, it is a prestigious honor nonetheless.
Players were nominated by high school coaches, athletic directors, principals and members of the McDonald’s All American Games Selection Committee, and the final team will be announced during the McDonald’s All American Games Selection Show on ESPNU on January 29 at 5:00 p.m. CT.
The list features nine boys and four area girls players and they are as follows:
2014 Boys Nominees
◦ Cliff Alexander (Curie High School – Chicago)
◦ Keita Bates-Diop (University High School – Normal)
◦ Victor Law (Saint Rita High School – Chicago)
◦ Dominique Matthews (Saint Rita High School – Chicago)
◦ JayQuan McCloud (North Chicago Community High School – North Chicago)
◦ Jahlil Okafor (Whitney Young High School – Chicago)
◦ Miles Reynolds (Whitney Young High School – Chicago)
◦ Tyler Ulis (Marian Catholic High School – Chicago Heights)
◦ Paul White (Whitney Young High School – Chicago)
2014 Girls Nominees
◦ Amarah Coleman (Homewood Flossmoor High School – Flossmoor)
◦ Kortney Dunbar (Edwardsville High School – Edwardsville)
◦ Khaalia Hillsman (Whitney Young High School – Chicago)
◦ Jasmine Lumpkin (Joliet Catholic Academy – Bolingbrook)
On the boy’s side, sure bets to be chosen to play in the game will be Jahlil Okafor (Duke commit) and Cliff Alexander (Kansas commit) as they are ranked No. 1 and No.3 respectively in the nation. Tyler Ulis (Kentucky commit) may also have an outside shot at being selected.
On the girl’s side, Khaalia Hillsman (Texas A&M commit) could be chosen along with Jasmine Lumpkin (Michigan State commit) as they are ranked No. 46 and No. 51 respectively in the nation.