The allegations of sexual assault against Blackhawks star Patrick Kane may soon be coming to an end, according to a new report that claims Kane is "unlikely" to face criminal charges.
Three sources familiar with the case told the Buffalo News that they do not believe the case will be presented to a grand jury. The newspaper reports that one source said, "This case is going nowhere." Another added, "I was told ... the case will be administratively dismissed."
Three months ago, a woman told police Kane had sexually assaulted her at his home in Hamburg, New York, according to reports. None of Kane's DNA was found in the rape kit, however.
Kane told reporters in a press conference in September that he is "confident" authorities will find he did "nothing wrong."
In September, Thomas Eaonnou, the former lawyer for the family of the alleged victim told reporters the victim's mother had found the evidence bag inside the door of her home. At that time, he suggested the bag had once contained the woman's rape kit and called into question all of the test results. Erie County District Attorney Frank Sedita later told reporters the mother's claims were part of an "elaborate hoax." Eaonnou later withdrew the accusation, saying he had been misled by the mother, and resigned from the case.
Kane's attorney, Paul Cambria, responded by saying the DNA results from the rape kit were still valid, despite the claims that the evidence had been tampered with.
"Obviously, somebody else isn't happy with the results," Cambria said in September. "They would have a reason to say it's compromised. We have none."
Cambria and Sedita could not be immediately reached for comment on Saturday.