In a surprising bit of news, the NHL will add five more outdoor games to its schedule in the 2013-14 season. Among the matchups will be two games at Yankee Stadium, with the New York Rangers hosting the New Jersey Devils and New York Islanders, as well as a matchup between the Anaheim Ducks and Los Angeles Kings on January 25th at Dodger Stadium.
Perhaps the most marquee of all the matchups will occur on March 1st at Solider Field, as the Pittsburgh Penguins will do battle with the Chicago Blackhawks.
This game will feature several of the games’ biggest stars, with Evgeni Malkin and Sidney Crosby highlighting the Penguins side, and Jonathan Toews and Patrick Kane getting top billing for the Hawks.
This will be the second time that the Blackhawks have hosted an outdoor game, as they were also the hosts of the 2009 NHL Winter Classic at Wrigley Field against the Detroit Red Wings.
Here is the full list of outdoor games on the NHL docket next season:
- January 1st: Toronto Maple Leafs vs. Detroit Red Wings at Michigan Stadium (Winter Classic)
- January 25th: Anaheim Ducks vs. Los Angeles Kings at Dodger Stadium
- January 26th: New Jersey Devils vs. New York Rangers at Yankee Stadium
- January 29th: New York Islanders vs. New York Rangers at Yankee Stadium
- March 1st: Pittsburgh Penguins vs. Chicago Blackhawks at Soldier Field
- March 2nd: Ottawa Senators vs. Vancouver Canucks at BC Place