Small business owners need all the marketing help they can get, and business bloggers know that their content needs to be relevant and engaging to readers.
Not everyone can be the next Perez Hilton – not that anyone wants to - but how do you keep your website updated with a continual supply of high-quality SEO (search engine optimization) - enhanced blog content?
As an entrepreneur with a business to worry about, trying to add SEO knowledge to the mix can be a little daunting if you’re not sure where to start. So, a few tips follow for those new to SEO-land, gathered from a host of practiced business bloggers:
1. First, ensure the technical setup of your website is search-engine friendly. Most platform-hosted websites do this already, but if you have a custom built website you need to think about your folder structure, site map, and HTML readability. Your website should already be visually appealing and user-friendly, but search engines look at your site technically.
2. Make a list of keywords you want your website to appear: think of three or four ways you’d search for your website if you had to find it quickly. Ask others, and review similar businesses, then do a search yourself.
3. Ensure your homepage contains a text description with 2 or 3 of those top keywords
4. Write a page or blog post on your site that’s dedicated to each of your top keywords
5. Post links to your site and/or key pages on social sites like Facebook & Twitter
6. Ask friends or contacts to post something about you on their website - they can use one of the keywords on your list and highlight them as a link to your page. Traditionally, this is may also be known as a “link exchange” and a good practice for genuine websites with original content. But the link should be relevant and provide actual value to the reader.
Don't roll your eyes at yet another business lesson - SEO is not that difficult. It's necessary, and a valuable marketing tool for small businesses.