In the first official NFL transactions, the Bears signed 19 undrafted free agents to bolster the roster size and help throughout camp.
Undrafted free agent signings rarely get much attention because undrafted players generally serve as bodies in training camp and comprise the practice squad. However, the complete lack of actual NFL activity throughout the lockout makes us excited that the Bears will have some new blood. Undrafted free agents don't normally catch Jerry Angelo's eye.
It's also possible that some of these players could make an impact. Kurt Warner, Dick "Night Train" Lane and Warren Moon all entered the league as undrafted free agents.
With that in mind, let's take a look at some facts about these 19 young men who will, at the very least, will pick up a ton of Bears gear:
- Ten of the players are on defense, with nine on offense.
- Defensive tackle is the position most represented among the group. Four players are offensive lineman, including two centers.
- Tight end Kyle Adams spent his downtime from football building homes in South Africa and Haiti. Good on him.
- Eleven players are coming from BCS schools, and the Big 12 is the most represented conference.
- Cornerback Antareis Bryan is nicknamed "The Locksmith" and DT Sean Murnane is called "Hurricane Murnane," which are way better than any current Bears nicknames. Seriously, this is a team devoid of good nicknames.
- Two Chicago Public School alumni were signed. Corbin Bryant went to Morgan Park High School, and Robert Hughes graduated from Hubbard.
- Offensive lineman Alex Linnenkohl was a teammate of second-round draft pick Stephen Paea at Oregon State.
- Josh Davis, a tackle from Georgia, grew up in Jayess, Miss., a town with less than 5,000 people.
- Lineman J.C. Brignone was a three-time state wrestling champion in Louisiana.
- Safety Winston Venable's brother Will is an outfielder with the San Diego Padres.
The next step in the Bears free agency madness will be to sign draft picks and start negotiating with free agents.
Contracts for free agents can be signed starting at 5 p.m. Friday.
Copyright NBC Owned Television Stations