You can bury your head in the sand all you like, but social media isn't going away. If you haven't yet seen the light on Twitter or Facebook, the coming sessions and festivities for Social Media Week -- Sept. 19 through 23 at venues all over the city -- might help. Chief among the reasons why you should give it a shot: most of the events are free. Event organizers announced a preliminary schedule this week, and the list is as follows:
- Developing an Enterprise Wide Social Media Solution, featuring representatives from Nissan, Unilever, AON.
- How Chicago Restaurants and Chefs Are Using Social Media, with chefs from the Elysian Hotel’s Ria, Lockwood, Whistler, the Peninsula’s Avenues Restaurant, and the founder of Hoosier Mama Pie company.
- The Power of Social Media for Social Activism: How it Can Create or Advance Social Movements, with Rolling Out Urban Style Weekly, Write Design Company, MG Media, CDW, and more.
- Marrying Online and Offline Efforts, featuring executives from the Chicago Architecture Foundation, Chicago Convention and Tourism Bureau, and Museum of Science and Industry.
- WOMMA Talkable Brands Exchange, “Getting to the Bottom Line: Is WOM Worth it? And What Exactly is it Worth?”, featuring executives from Keller Fay, Converseon, Ogilvy 360 Digital Influence and Brains on Fire.
If you've already seen the light on social media and would rather suggest an event, even for yourself to host, you can do so here. What're you waiting for?