Washington Redskins Wide Receiver David Anderson must've never gone a day hungry while growing up with award-winning amateur cook and mom, Katie Anderson. "1st Look" was lucky enough to be invited into her kitchen for a sneak peek at her incredible game day feast. And though this Sunday is usually a hard day to stay calorically conscious, Katie's got "Fit & Flirty" or "Fat & Happy" versions of all recipes below.
Check out the recipes and join us and special co-host Giant's Super Bowl Champ Amani Toomer for "1st Look's Big Game Special" this Saturday after "Saturday Night Live" on NBC!
Katie's Big, Bad BLT
¾ lb. bacon, medium thickness
1 teaspoon dry mustard
1 teaspoon dried cayenne pepper
2 teaspoons white vinegar
20, plus Ritz cracker crumbs
Tomatoes (if available use Heirloom in various colors)
Loaf French bread
A little mayonnaise
Plastic football decorations
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
1. Place a wire rack over a cookie sheet and set aside.
2. Put egg, mustard, cayenne, and vinegar in a pie plate and blend. Set
3. Put cracker crumbs on a dinner plate. Set aside.
4. Dip each bacon strip into the egg mixture and then put in the cracker
mixture. Be sure to cover both sides and place on the wire rack. Put in
oven for 20-25 minutes until well done. Remove from oven and set aside.
5. Split French bread in half and put in the still hot oven to toast a bit.
Remove from oven and remove some of the interior bread (save for bread
crumbs or feed the ducks).
6. Spread a little mayo on each cut side. Layer ingredients on bottom half
in this order: lettuce, sliced tomatoes, and lastly the bacon. Put the top
side on the sandwich and place a plastic goal post at each end. Put the
quarterback near one end and the wide receiver near the other end. The
sandwich is a menu item and a centerpiece.
FIT & FLIRTY: dilute the mayo with a little nonfat yogurt. Use both pieces of
the bread separately to make open faced sandwiches.
FAT & HAPPY: Make a dozen and hope Ray Lewis and other linebackers
are coming by for lunch!
Katie's Fried Chicken Salad
Cornbread croutons (made from a cornbread mix)
10 pieces of fried chicken, no wings (store-bought)
Pint of cute, Cabo cherry tomatoes
Pepitas (pumpkin seeds)
2 bags of boutique lettuce (red oak, arugula) or your choice
1 quart reduced-fat butter milk
1 bottle of light ranch salad dressing
1. One day before event make cornbread according to package directions.
But, instead of putting in a square pan, spread batter on a greased cookie
sheet. Reduce cooking time.
2. Remove from oven, cut into cubes, cool, and refrigerate in a zip-lock bag.
3. Wash lettuce, dry, and tear in small pieces. Refrigerate. Cut fried chicken
in big hunks and place in preheated oven at 325 for 15 minutes. Remove
from oven and set aside.
4. In a small bowl, mix bottle of dressing with a ½ to ¾ cup buttermilk.
5. Place lettuce in salad bowl, sprinkle with pepitas and cranberries. Arrange
hunks of chicken, cornbread croutons, sliced avocado, and cherry
tomatoes across the top of salad.
6. Place a serving spoon in the salad dressing bowl. Hide extra chicken
under the table!
FIT AND FLIRTY: Have extra ingredients on hand to replenish the salad. Keep
the chicken to a minimum.
FAT AND HAPPY: Put the bucket of chicken on the table next to the salad.
Expect no one to eat much of the salad!
Katie's Bacon Peanut Brittle
½ lb. bacon, regular-thickness
2 cups white sugar
1 cup corn syrup, light
2 cups salted peanuts
4 tablespoons softened butter
2 teaspoons baking soda
1. Cook bacon in skillet until well done. Drain on paper towels and chop into
small pieces. Set aside.
2. Grease a cookie sheet and set aside.
3. Put sugar, corn syrup, salt and water in a large saucepan and over
medium heat bring to a boil. Sugar should be dissolved. Place peanuts
and a candy thermometer into the mixture.
4. Stir frequently until temperature reaches 300 degrees. Immediately, remove from
the heat and toss in the butter and soda. It will puff up a little. Pour on
cookie sheet and spread with back of wooden spoon.
5. Sprinkle bacon across the brittle and push some into the brittle, too.
6. Cool, break into pieces, and refrigerate.
FIT & FLIRTY: Reduce amount of bacon. Enjoy just a small piece.
FAT & HAPPY: Use 1 lb. of bacon and use honey-roasted nuts!